Story, Plot and Narrative
The art and science of telling stories for this digital age
The Educators’ Workshop is an expansion of the Foundational Course on Digital Storytelling. You will learn key learning takeaways from the FOUNDATIONAL course – you go beyond relaying what happened to TELLING A STORY WELL. Although called “digital” storytelling, greater emphasis is placed on SCRIPTING. Digital Storytelling, sometimes called “the baby brother of filmmaking,” is a non-geek storyteller’s doorway into the wonderful world of turning stories into multimedia. The Digital Storytelling process is useful for:
- First-person stories (stories told from the storyteller’s point-of-view)**
- Articulating an Organisation’s Brand Story
- Team Building
- And much more
The Educator’s workshop includes all of the above +PLUS
- Critique on Digital Story Project
- Educator’s Discussion
- Implementing DS in the Classroom – Rubric
Ready to WOW us?
At the workshop, you will tell a story – it could be a personal story or work related story. .
In the process of creating your masterpieces, enter the world of stories where the storytellers and listeners are allowed to enter the mind, heart and emotions of human experience. Be it a personal story or a business story, we are all people who want to relate with people. Laugh. Cry. Live.
Creating your story will also bring clarity on Story, Plot and Narrative. You will also understand the process of putting a video together. Very useful knowledge when you are in Corporate Comms and need to work with the videographer/media producer you have outsourced your video project to.
Here are two very different kinds of digital stories.
It’s Qing Hui’s story but edited and put together by Story Coach and Teachers at APSN Tanglin School
Plan B by Hay Qing Hui
Teacher Assistant, APSN Tanglin School
Created at a Tyros Workshop
Help Me Retire by Chris Pang
Educator, Nanyang Polytechnic
In this course, we will focus on how to create a 1 to 2-minute digital story that connects both with the heart and with the head.
At the workshop, you will discover:
- The Art and Science of Telling Stories by watching sample digital stories
- Our Story Coach’s 8 secret ingredients that make Great Digital Stories
- Use our guided 5-Step template to Write Scripts for the digital storytelling genre
- You will be coached to SHOW not tell
- You will do a Storyboard – that’s when your script turns from something you read into something multisensory… with music, voice, pace, rhythm, pictures, moving images
- How to articulate your voiceover
- You will create a digital story using WeVideo, an amazingly powerful entry-level cloud video editing tool OR you may opt to use your preferred video editing software
- We will spend on looking at your Workshop Project to discover how they can be improved. We will discuss on ways to use Digital Storytelling for Face-to-Face as well as online eLearning
Who Should Attend?
- Teachers, Training and Learning Faculty who need to connect with digital natives who can’t keep their hands of their mobiles
- Educators, Learning and Development Heads who need to create media for classroom and eLearning
- Subject Experts and Specialist who want to introduce their work or passion
- Non-Geeks who need to communicate in this digital age
- Marketing, Sales and PR Professionals
- Leaders, Managers, Supervisors in Education
- HR Specialists, Training Management
Educators who wants to tell stories for this FaceBook, Instagram, WhatsApp world
- Level – Foundational
- Prerequisite – If you already know how to handle PowerPoint, you should be able to handle the WeVideo.
- To make the most of our time together, it would be best if you complete on a pre-workshop assignment which will be sent to you. The guided questions will get you thinking about who you are and what your story is
- Recommended but not mandatory: Educators should have prior knowledge of video editing and able to complete a digital story independently. We will cover the basics of video editing as need arises.
- Date – (2 days) Please contact Tyros to be kept updated of schedule
- Time – 9 am to 5 pm
- Location – Menon Network [MAP]
Level 28 Gateway East
152 Beach Road
- Your Investment – S$795 (“I invested hours of trial and error so you can shortcut your learning!” – Your Story Coach)
Your Investment includes a 2-week Complimentary Access to Premium Features in WeVideo, an online video editing tool. This will enable you to enjoy Premium feature not found in the free WeVideo account, including privacy control and higher quality videos. It also means you have time to refine your video after the workshop.
Participants will be awarded a Certificate of Achievement on completion of the Course.
PLEASE BRING YOUR LAPTOP. Experience has shown that participants learn better using their own laptops. It will allow you to seamlessly continue refining your work after the workshop.
If you are using a company laptop, please be sure to have your IT department unlock any security features that may limit access to the internet or downloading of files. Laptops are also available for rent if you inform us when you register for the workshop.
We will be sending you a pre-workshop welcome with reminders and other information you will need to maximise your learning experience at the workshop.